Friday, March 4, 2011

What a Difference a Year Makes


A year ago today our adventure began.
You see, we were going to our friends Robin and Aaron's wedding in Key Largo the next day (yes, 305) and I said to D as I made my way upstairs for a shower, "I'm going to take a pregnancy test to make sure I can drink at the wedding". Within 2 minutes the unbelievable results were there..."clear" and "easy" to read ...two lines.
I came downstairs and said, "Well, what do you want it to say?", "Either way I'll be happy...if we are that's great, if we aren't, then we'll try again."
I showed him the "stick" and told him "Well, according to this you are going to be a Daddy"..."Are you sure? Do you have another to take?" (we never thought it was going to happen as quickly as it did) "No, but I can get one tomorrow" I responded.
The next day, I did some calendar math and I left work early to head to the keys an don my way home I stopped at Target for the usual wedding needs, hairspray, mascara, suspenders for D and oh yeah...another pregnancy test. I rushed home...followed instructions again...and the result was the same. After telling D, I immediately called my OB/GYN's office and said, "Hi, I'm a patient of Dr. Perez's and I think I'm pregnant" the receptionist asked me, "Why do you think you are pregnant?", "I am 3 days late and I took 2 pregnancy tests that came back positive" I told her..."Well, our computer system is down so I can't give you an appointment...but two tests...you're pregnant. Can you call back later and get an appointment?" she asked me... "No, I'm on my way out of town for a wedding" I told her. "Well, just try and listen to your body, don't over do it and don't consume any alcohol"...I came downstairs and told D who said, "Well, lets not jump the gun, be careful but until we go to the doctor let's not assume anything"... so that night I took my last medium rare steak and had one last glass of wine while I fake drank beer and vodka all night. Monday I got an appointment for Wednesday...and the tests were confirmed.
Fast forward a year later...here I am enjoying my baby and loving every bit of her. What a difference a year makes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment